Cobalt glazed bowl.

Started by Pablo82, Feb 02, 2020, 07:19:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo82

Welcome back Peter! Hi Stan,
I purchased this bowl from the same collector who sold me the blue dish I posted here some time ago. I wonder if the shape (mainly of the neck) is correct and if It could be mid Qing or older. Thank you!

peterp

The bottom and foot rim point to a Guangxu item. What is the size of this? If it is small it might be a brush washer of sorts. If there is no glaze, the mouth was possibly ground down. The original lip would have been bent more outward. Grinding is often done when there are chips or breaks, as it is easier than repairing those.

Pablo82

Thank you Peter for your answer.
The bowl is quite large, h. cm 20. The possible shaving of the mouth was also my fear, but its surface looks glazed and shiny all over, without discontinuity. Could it be re-glazed?

peterp

Re-glazed would mean fired once more at a lower temperature than originally. But, it could also be artificial glaze (used also in restoration) or what some do, namely applying a layer of lacquer. If a needle cannot be stuck in it might be refired. If you want to check for a chemical (artificial) glaze, you could apply a tiny bit of acetone (nail lacquer solvent) somewhere and see if it softens the surface. In that case it is artificial.

Stan

I believe this is called a powder blue, sprayed on through a straw, very collectable, but it dose look like the top has had some kind of restoration.

Pablo82

Hi Stan! Maybe the mouth has been ground down and then very well restored because the luster of it looks not different from the glaze of the body. Peter, if restored I think it should have been refired because neither the needle nor the acetone test shows the presence of artificial glaze.

Yuqian

This looks refired and I would say late Qing to republican period