Cylindrical vase

Started by Adriano, Mar 10, 2020, 00:16:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriano

I would like to have comment on this vase.
My feeling is Qianjiang style, early republic period.
Houses and people are in a bit naif style, I think.
Can calligraphy help for period?
Thank you.

Stan

Hi Adriano, it looks like there might be a date on the left side of the writing, Peter can say for sure but a closer picture of the writing on the left side will confirm this, my personal opinion is 2nd half of the 20th century because of the high polished gold, Im pretty sure that was not used until after.

Adriano

Thank you Stan.
The vase is not still in my hands.
I got the pictures from the person who wants to sell it.
I post the additional pictures I have.
The gold decoration in the back seems completely rubbed, or not applied.

peterp

There seems to be a cyclical date, but the handwriting makes it difficult to read the second character. Most likely it is either 1911 or 1931, but the later date is a bit too late for this, probably.
You are right, judging by painting style and colors used it is late Qing or early republic.

peterp

Items of this size and shape are usually said to be either  hat stands or incense holders.

Adriano

Thank you Peter.
I try to get it.

Adriano

Hi Peter,
The vase is in my hands now.
I post better pictures of calligraphy.
Can you please check again the cyclical date?
Thank you.

peterp

The handwriting is hard to read as it often the ase with such porcelain. However, there is a cyclical year, Xinhai year, that could correspond to 1911 or 1971, 1911 is the year the Chinese empire ceased to exist and the republic was established. As I cannot read the rest of the writing it is impossible to know whether or not the year is relating to some event, etc., rather than the production date. 1971 is rather unlikely in my view. On the other hand, 1911 may be on the early side. If the faint oval on the bottom is the trace of a stamped mark, then it is only possible to say republic period.
Depending on the size of this it is either a brush pot, an incense stick holder, or a hat stand.

Adriano

Thank you Peter and well come back.
The vase is 28 cm tall, probably incense holder.

peterp

This size is usually thought to be either a hat stand or an incense holder. Cannot tell which...only if there are holes (windows) in the side it is more likely a hat stand.

Adriano

Thank you again Peter.