Chinese floor vase

Started by Stan, Mar 04, 2020, 08:50:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I thought I posted this vase a long time ago, but I do not think I did so here it is, this is 60.33 cm tall, it has nice age signs, the Qianlong mark on the bottom is on top of the glaze, this is all hand painted, the faces make me think from the 60's or so, I do not see any signs that it has been redecorated but than is what I think, there is iridescence in the enamels indicating lead. your expertise is much appreciated, thanks, I will post 10 photo's for accurate viewing.

Stan

Here are two more photo's

Stan

More Photo's to view.

Stan

Here are more photo's.

Stan

Here are the last of the photo's, thanks for viewing.

peterp

Hi Stan,
The vase itself is definitely old. The twin lion ears place it in the 19th century, probably in the first half. The foot rim, etc. is all typical. However, all vases of this type I have seen had a blue and white decoration, never fencai enamels. Usually there is no mark.
The faces of the people are much too detailed for non-imperial ware of the Qing dynasty, even the pupils are shown in the eyes, and the skin is colored too. The light green sides of the lions have a bit too light a color tone. Everything except the people's skin has a black contour. There is a six character Qianlong mark. Such marks seldom appear on late Qing items; even the four character marks are are more often than not found on republic period wares.
My impression from all this is that the fencai decoration was added in the 20th century, while the vase body itself originates in the 19th century. It might just have been an old blank vase body on which later a decoration was added, I'm afraid.

Stan

Thanks Peter, when I did my search on the mark it self it seems to be 2nd half of the 20th century or later, I won this at a local auction and won two more vases with similar marks and facial features, same hair painting, I  have been looking to see if I can find 20th century in the same style it might pinpoint a more accurate date, thanks Peter for all your expert analogy .