Ming Ko-Akae dish

Started by haukech, Nov 27, 2019, 05:49:26

Previous topic - Next topic

haukech

Dear All,
I had recently the chance to visit a collectors fair here in the Netherlands and came across a good quantity of transitional and late ming pieces.
For study purpouses I took a few.
Here is the first one, a ko-akae small dish repaired with kintsugi.
Whats your feeling about dating more precisely?

peterp

This is probably Japanese. Let's see if Stan confirms this.
All antiques with the Chenghua mark should be carefully inspected. I see much more Chenghua marks on Japanese than on Chinese porcelain.

Stan

I agree with Peter, Japanese, this is a Kakiemon style, the white ground is not white enough to be authentic Kakiemon and the decoration is not the quality you would find on late 17th and early 18th Kakiemon, the sand on the foot tells me mid to late Meiji, a picture of the bottom at an angle showing the outside foot rim shape is needed to be more exact, thanks.

haukech

Hi Stan,
Here some details hope its helpful.
About Meiji i have my doubts, the colors correspond to the pallete of ko-akae rather.
Anyhow, its a study piece so good to learn around it.

peterp

Just wanted to clarify that the rim shape makes it unlikely Chinese and more likely Japanese, and the blue double ring on the bottom is also too close to the foot rim for Chinese. Differences between Chinese and Japanese items do not concern the decoration or colors only, but many collectors do not seem to be aware of such things.

Basically, with Japanese porcelain showing Chinese style motifs there are two decoration types, one is very close, difficult to tell apart, from a Chinese one, because the painting style is virtually 100% Chinese looking; another type of Chinese motifs is more easily recognized, because their is some minor difference in style that can be easily recognized. With this one I would say the decoration is the former, but the plate itself has a  shape that still looks more Japanese.

haukech

Thanks to both Perter and Stan!
I really appreciate all your comments.

Stan

Thanks for the additional photo's, the dish look older than Meiji, possibly 18th century.