Plate pair

Started by dn1219, Nov 25, 2019, 00:19:17

Previous topic - Next topic

dn1219

Dear all,

what do you think about this pair of Chinese porcelain plate with  underglaze blue decoration?
In my opinion it's an original part  from the Qing- dynasty late Kangxi or early Yongzheng reign.

Produced for the  export market "Batavia porcelain"
Diameter is 11cm, height 2cm.
Do you agree?
Any information about the location of the kiln ?

Many thanks in advance and greets.

Stan

I can see the Kangxi resemblance but these photo's are to small and the bottom pictures so not show the foot rim properly, please post a picture of the bottom at an angle so we can view the outside and inside of the foot rim, also any age signs like bubble bursts, bitting and a close up of the blue color, thanks.

dn1219

Dear Stan,

thanks for your reply,  hope attached details are more helpfull.

dn1219

peterp

The foot rim shape and blue color look as if this could be from Dehua kiln, but I have doubts. First the glaze looks too new, the foot rim of Japanese porcelain is often similar as that of Dehua, low and rounded at the top.
The decoration shows a pagoda with a needle at the top. This metal needle is something found on Japanese pagodas. Thus, despite the Chinese motif this might as well be Japanese.

dn1219

Dear Peter,

this is an new, interesting information.
I compared the painting with plates from the famous ca Mau wreck before and it looks similar for me.
Further the outside shape of the plate has the wave pattern in approx. 1cm distance.  ( Unfortunately not visible at the picture). The foot rim is also comparable.
So I thought it should be from China.

Anyway if it is from Japan can you estimate the age.
Probably Arita porcelain.
I'll try to find other pictures of pagoda with needle on the top.

To identify an antic piece is always a challenging.
Thanks again.

peterp

That with the metal needle on top of the pagoda is very obvious if you look for online pictures of temples in Japan, especially Nara, etc..  Pagodas there are more often than not serving as storage places for Buddhist relics and other items, while Chinese ones often have stairs for people going up. They are not necessarily connected to temples.
I have Japanese Imari items here that can be identified as such only by some architectural features of the decoration.
However, if you see similar Dehua items you should still compare, usually, to make sure it is not something made to order in China for Japan.
I also noted (1) that the item looks very pristine, and (2) that the foot rim is not clearly visible as unglazed. This is a bit puzzling, but it might be a lighting problem when taking pictures.
Perhaps, you could upload a picture showing the bottom at an angle of about 30-45 degrees...

dn1219

Dear Peter,

it seems, that my last post was not successful, maybe due of the server problem.
However I post some picture of the foot rim. Maybe it helps to clarify if  it is from China or japan and maybe the age.
Thanks again for your answer in advance.