Saucer - unclear if 19c or 20c

Started by haukech, Jul 22, 2019, 04:46:04

Previous topic - Next topic

haukech

Dear All,
I have recently adquires this saucer. I have seen a similar item on a site stating 19c but checking the faces I think it could also be 20c.
I will post in several parts to all better detail. Border seems like 19c but body is quite white.
Thanks in advance.

haukech

Its divided in 3 sections depicting characters and 4 sections with scenaries of nature.

peterp

Qing, Jiaqing reign. Plate with Canton enamels, specifically made for export. This type of colors were exclusively used in Canton (Guangzhou), not in Jingdezhen or elsewhere.

haukech

Thank you Peterp, do you think this is end XVIII or early XIX? I have serached for similar style but always end up with the rose medallion type (distribution of artwork).

peterp

Basically, considering the decoration only, it could also be Daoguang reign. But the pictures seem to show a slanted foot rim, which points to a manufacture of the porcelain body in the Qianlong reign or 18th century. The porcelain blanks were made in JDZ and then transported to Canton for painting, and it is said that stored blanks lasted until the Jiaqing reign.
Thus, if there was a straight foot rim it could be Daoguang.

Generally it is difficult to pinpoint manufacturing times more exactly. With items shipped by the Dutch VOC in earlier times extant shipping logs might sometimes give more exact dates for the some manufacturing batches. I do not know about the other companies.

haukech

Thanks for the additional details Peterp. I note it and perhaps with some reading will find some similar items.

haukech

Found rhe same design and painting style in a bigger format.
Would love to find a cup that would match now.

haukech