Ming Charger Plate? (Im leaning towards reproduction)

Started by smak, May 08, 2019, 00:15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi All,

please let me know what your thoughts are. The coloring do look reproduction.

smak

Width / 13.26 inch ( 34cm )
13.26 inch ( 34cm )
Height / 2.145 inch ( 5.5cm )
Total Weight / 1875 g

peterp

I do not think it is a reproduction, I think it is a fake. The difference is that there should be an existing one that has been copied, to be a reproduction. But there are fundamental problems with the dragon, in my view.
First, if this was genuine, the rim shape and painted floral decoration would point to early Ming; but this bottom looks artificial, as if it was made to imitate unglazed bases of the time.
What I have the most doubts about is the dragon. I do not know if such a head did exist in the early Ming dynasty, but it is commonly accepted that Ming dragons of this kind face toward the front, with a fierce look. This looks more like Qing style head to me. The other problem is the dragon's tail tip. Early dragons had a thin tip with long filament-like scales at the end. This one has a tail tip that would be normal for the late Qing dynasty.

peterp

Unless you buy at a major auction I would avoid this type of plates. Those on the market are virtually all fakes. Such plates are rare and mostly in museums. Pricing of a genuine one would likely be at least a five digit number.

smak

Ah I figured just as much! I've notced theres been a huge influx of these Ming charger plates and vases.. Peter as always I really appreciate your input!!

Thanks,
Simon