B/W ginger Jar

Started by heavenguy, Apr 23, 2019, 06:27:54

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello, any idea on this one?

I guess because of the size may be 19th century.  I don't know if it is more of a 20th century piece. thank you in advance.

heavenguy

heavenguy

last pics. Looks it has some age. around 5 inches tall.

peterp

I believe this is 20th century because of the painting style. The jar itself may be old, but it is doubtful that the decoration is.

heavenguy

Thank you Peterp, I still need to learn about drawing styles in different eras. I have a book on the subject but still have my doubts. Thank you!!

peterp

Is it in English? Would be nice if you could tell me the name. I lack information on non-Chinese books regarding the subject. You will get a 'feel' of styles if you look at many items, but it still takes time. There is always so much more to learn!

heavenguy

Hi Peterp, the one I have is named "Dating Chinese Porcelain from Facial Features and Adornments ; H Handbook." The book is by Tommy Eklof. It is a good book and he kinds of puts the most common styles of painting from facial expressions on different eras. It is a good book to have. There is even a small presentation on Youtube. just google the name of the book on youtube and you will see a small presentation his book.

peterp

Oh thanks. While I have never seen the book itself I have seen some extracts from it when he presented them in an online forum before publishing. I believe his book is centering mainly on facial features and the like for dating, but that is only part of the whole. Unfortunately, we cannot rely on these alone as they easily can be copied, but they are an essential part of an overall evaluation.
But I am sure you are aware of this.  :-)