Late Yuan early Ming dynasty Pot?

Started by smak, Mar 05, 2019, 23:23:57

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

I was told its Korean but the designs are definitely Ming. If not even late Yuan.

Width / 9.75 inch ( 25cm )
            10.023 inch ( 25.7cm )
Height / 8.814 inch ( 22.6cm )
Total Weight / 3655 g

Thoughts?
When was this made?

peterp

Hi, not Korean. I have not seen a bottom like this in Korean wares.
I suggest you do a search using the characters ??? .
That is Yuxi kiln, I think it is located in Yunnan. Many of its wares are of the dark colors as yours. You will find similar items, but I do not know if those wares have a flat bottom.

smak

Hi Peter,

How old do you think this is? Is this authentic?

peterp

I'm afraid I cannot help much. I have seen only a few Yuxi items.  All I know is that its glaze is yellow and the blue color dark. This is not a mainstream kiln.
It is the same as with Vietnamese items, as far as I know, namely that the decoration is depicting the decoration of earlier wares. If it IS Yuxi and would be Ming it is already nice.
You still should look also at Vietnamese wares, even if it is only to make sure whether it is or is not Yuxi ware.  Probably there aren't many people who know about this kiln.

peterp

> How old do you think this is? Is this authentic?

I do not think this is a fake. And the glaze color appears to be normal with Yuxi items. You should really take the Chinese characters and do an image search.
Please note the flat bottom. I have no idea what type of bottom Yuxi wares had.

After reading up a bit on this kiln it seems there were three kilns in the Yuxi area. In the Yuan dynasty the place might have had importance as they may have been the only place outside Jingdezhen producing blue and white wares.

smak

Hi Peter,

Apologize. I failed to mention that I did look it up and found one example of a small vase that had a flat bottom. It was for sale in China for about $500 rmb when I found the image on google.

Last question, what were these pots/ vases used for back then? Is this used as a flower pot? Storing liquor/ wine?

I only paid $200 usd, hope I didn?t do too bad..

peterp

You cannot compare small items with yours. Yours is considered a big one. If it is authentic and Yuxi the price is you paid is low. But it won't have the value of similar items from Jingdezhen. Mainstream kilns are usually more interesting to collectors.

smak

Thanks Peter!

Just out of curiosity, what was this used for? I read there were lots for cremation..

peterp

Who knows? All jars were probably used for different purposes, depending on the owner.
The temple jar were used for ashes of high ranking monks originally, as far as I know, but not long after they were mainly for decorative purposes. Generally, people were not cremated in ancient China. These jars were probably too expensive in those times for this use.

smak

Thanks again for everything Peter! I really appreciate all your help! Despite it not being Jiang de Zheng porcelain, I'd still appreciate all the history it has! How well did I do paying only $200 though? :x

peterp

You did not read the previous posts?!

smak

Ahhhh! Apologies! Just saw it now!

Thanks again!!! :)) I have a new ming plum vase post that I have doubts on!