Asia wine jar?

Started by dn1219, Feb 21, 2019, 04:31:09

Previous topic - Next topic

dn1219

Dear all,

I bought this wine jar on eBay. The seller had no idea about the origin or age
and the description was European art nouveau.

I suppose it's China or somehow Asia, due of the shape and the lugs.
What do you think about place of origin and age ?
Height: 21cm, diameter. 15cm
Thank you.

peterp

Did you check what the scratched or impressed decoration under the glaze is?

dn1219

Dear Peter,

each lug ends in an elevated vine leaf. The leafs are connected with a wavy line.

Below in the lower part there are vine grapes, but the arrangement looks  not naturally compored to the leafs.
Arrangement is more horizontal than vertically.

There are some elevated spots from the clay under the glaze and only 5 mini spots and some scratches in the glaze.

Hope the description helps- Thanks.

peterp

This could be stoneware rather than porcelain, judging by the clay shown on the base.
If those are grapes and not scales or feathers, I'm afraid there is little chance that it is Chinese. And, I did not pay attention to the grape leaves. Few Far Eastern decorations seldom use grapes.
However, I did see that there is a lighter area around the base. To me this looks as if there was an unglazed area before the whole was overglazed in a brown color. All too shiny and unused looking for a storage jar. The shape may have existed in many areas as it is usually decided by its usage. Similar shapes were made in SE Asia also, but again, the grape decoration is unusual.

dn1219

Dear Peter,

thanks for the description. I agree it's difficult to identify, but  for sure it's stoneware.
I attached two pictures of the "grape?. Due of the wine leafs I thought it's a grapes,
and I still not see a bird or similar. The white lines are only from the flash light.
However hope you agree SE Asia as place of origin.