18th century Japanese Imari Jar

Started by Stan, Mar 27, 2019, 03:06:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi everyone here is a large 18th century Imari Jar, unfortunately Im missing the lid, the jar itself stand 53.54 cm tall and is in excellent condition, any thoughts?

peterp

Big jar. Imari is basically a decoration style named after Imari port. Is it possible from the decoration which kiln in Kyushu made it?

Stan

Hi Peter, I am not sure what city this would have been made on the Kyushu Island I am not sure that there are any books on the subject at least the last time I looked, I would love to have information like that, I purchased this from a retired antique dealer that collected old Japanese porcelain and that was all he could tell me is 18th century Imari, I know that Imari was a port but the books I have when it comes to 18th century are vague, in one of my books it shows a vase with a similar shape, decoration and size and all that is said is that it is 18th century Imari, I would love to have a book on 18th century Japanese porcelain that is detailed showing bottom pictures and detail along decoration and where it was made.

peterp

Sorry, I did not realize that there are so many now. Arita is near Imari and several of the old kilns are on Kyushu; a distribution of kilns in Kyushu on the Internet shows almost a dozen in Kyushu alone, nowadays. I also did not know that there now is a kiln called Imari too.

Kiln locations (in Japanese):  www.ceramic.or.jp/museum/yakimono/contents/sanchi_map.html
and the result of an image search for 'Kyshu kilns" in Japanese:  tinyurl.com/yc5rzz89

Stan

Several years ago I posted a large Imari lidded jar with an unglazed foot and marked Imari in Japanese, so thanks Peter for that information, I did not know that Imari has a kiln.