Meiji Arita plates 8.5 inch wide

Started by DavidC, Dec 16, 2018, 07:39:59

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidC

Hello Folks especially Peter and Stan. Forgive my recent screw ups. I'm trying my best to learn exponentially. Its tough!
I have a small worry about these. Meiji I imagine but possibly Chinese? An opinion would be greatly received. Thanks in advance. D

Rec

I belive the mark is  used by koransha ca 1930

DavidC

Thanks Rec. I'll check that lead / info. Makes the plates not Meiji then......Showa indeed. That changes things a lot. Best wishes All.

Stan

Hi Rec, this mark was used in modern times but the plates look older to me, David could you post a picture of the bottom at an angle to see the shape of the foot, thanks, the Scented Orchid mark was used mid Meiji  and later.

Rec

hi Stan,
you're  probably right. According the information in mine book this mark is only used ca 1930's  but i checked the website of Koransha and found out the following information
" ....."orchid flower" is a trademark of Karolan company. Those that depict only orchid flowers are often found in early work by Kaoru." 
Unfortunately i'm not succeeded to find any information about that Karolan company. if this company an old company it could be an early work by kaoru. 

Stan

The Koransha company was founded in 1875 by Ezaiemon Fukagawa " the company of the Scented Orchid " in Arita, in 1889 he died and his oldest son Yotaro took over the company and he used the Scented Orchid mark as well that is what the scribbly mark at the top represents the Scented Orchid, however his younger brother Chuji Fukagawa went on to produce some of the finest porcelain ever created in Arita Japan.

DavidC

Hello All. Thanks for the info. This is the only other picture of the plates I have. Its not quite at a 45 deg angle but its better than nothing. The outside of the foot is straight.

Stan

Hi David, thanks for the additional photo, it dose show a 20th century foot, this would more than likely be the fist quarter of the 20th century.

DavidC

Thank you Stan. I was worried. These pieces are not what they seem or being advertised as. I'll leave them well alone and wait for something better. Youv'e been so helpful many times. Happy Holidays and have a great New Year.... And to Everyone else. Notably Peter for his advice too. Best wishes D