Famille noir made in japan

Started by Rec, Nov 13, 2018, 23:04:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

Is this  from late 19 - early 20 century or  a later production?

Stan

Hi Rec, generally mark " Made in Japan " would date after 1920 to present, but this looks to have nice age signs I would date this to the 20's or 30's.

Rec

Hi Stan,
Thanks again,
The mark is not put under the glaze but on the glaze. looking the color, decoration and faces; could it be from an earlier period?
greetings, rec

Stan

Yes, I thought of that, sometimes they stamped made in Japan just to meet the export regulation, if it can be scratched with your fingernail you might be able to remove it altogether with a razor blade.
The foot on the outside looks like it is straight up, if it is it would be 20th century.

Rec

Hi Stan,
The foot rim is slanted but I can not remove the stamp with mine fingernails.  Paint is definitely put on the glaze because I can feel It when I thouch it with mijn fingers. but I'm a bit scared to use a razor blade because I don't want to scratch it. Is there an other option to  check it.

Stan

If it is paint it can easily be removed but if it is backed on enamel it will not come off, if you feel uncomfortable doing it then leave it alone, it do not think it will make much of a difference anyway.

Mat

This may well be 1920s-30s, the style is similar to Yamatoku porcelain (which was painted also by other decorators, so this may have been decorated by one of them...6