large plate

Started by Rec, Oct 17, 2018, 19:28:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

could this also a genunie from the 17th century?

Stan

These picture are to small and the bottom needs to be angled and closer photo of the foot rim and closer partial photo of the decoration is needed.

Rec

sorry,  I've got only these photos at the moment.

Stan

This would be 17th or 18th century in my opinion, a closer look to be more accurate.

Rec

thanks Stan,
I'll try to get better pictures and post them

peterp

Also a view taken at 45 degrees of the area within the foot rim, if possible with the light reflecting off the surface, to show any indents, etc.

The painting style of this plate is odd. The Pine tree/trunk does not look as they would normally. And this looks as if it was in a large part painted with a pen, rather than a brush. The end of strokes looks angular, similar as those of a felt pen. But that did not exist, then. This is especially the case with the rim decoration and the posts of the fence.

Rec

Thanks Peter,
this is very interesting and informatief.
Should I better stay away of this or try to get the pics and buy it?

peterp

Rec

Okay I do, thanks again

DavidC

Dutch? Delftware?
Just a thought........
All the best everyone..D

Rec

interesting.
But should the antique dutch delftware be a tin glazed earthenware rather than porcelain?

DavidC

Hello Rec
It was the "clunkey"....... ""kitchen sink"", design that made me think. Clearly I don't have the piece in my hand so porcelain or otherwise sometimes look the same in photos. I just made a guess. Very clunkey I see it. Delft is this way and never had the asian slight of touch detail.

peterp

Actually I have been considering whether or not it could be Chinoiserie. The overall impression is that it deviates just a little from the usual Chinese decorations. But there is little tangible apart from the strange painting strokes and tree trunk that are off the normal.