Rice grain plate

Started by Pablo82, Sep 24, 2018, 15:37:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo82

Hi Peter,

Your assistance please in identifying the age of this plate.

Thank you!

Stan

This is mid 20th century or later.

Pablo82

peterp

Just wanted to add that such porcelain (BTW, actually nothing to do with rice grain) is still being made and used today. So chances that you get something recent are very high.

Pablo82

Thank you Peter. I bought it hoping it could be at least Republic judging from the good quality of the drawing but I made a mistake. I thought it was "rice grain" porcelain but I was wrong also about this. It's a nice piece anyway, and lukily I didn't pay it much.

peterp

This is what they call 'rice grain pattern' no problem; what I meant is that no rice is involved here. What looks like grain are just artificially made holes filled with glaze. The blue color is 20th century, but it might also be that this is printed. You would need to check with a magnifier. But it being handpainted does not mean it is old. Many porcelain items are still handpainted today.

Pablo82

Thank you Peter. I cecked with a magnifier an it is definitely handpainted. It's a well done modern piece.

Hmm

I've read before that the Wanyu ?? company existed until 1970 or so.  Later rice grain pattern stuff seem like they always have something stamped on printed on it.  So personally I would hedge that this is before the 1950s, then after the 1950s. 

peterp

Hi Hmm,
I do not know if a company with that name ever existed, but the Wan Yu mark was there throughout the Qing dynasty. I even have seen it on a late Ming item, if I remember right.

Pablo82

Thank you Hmm and Peter for your further, interesting contribution.

Hmm

@Peterp

I think you're correct.  The Gotheburg porcelain site says the mark has been used since the Kangxi era.  I was basing my 1970 date on this site watersilkdragon.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/deconstructing-the-rice-grain-pattern-late-qing-to-prc/ which place the wanyu mark on rice grain pattern bowls as anywhere between 1920-1970.  The author of that article marks which pictures are from the PRC era, and they don't quite look like the pictures posted here.  I think the dragon also looks quite similar to the ones he posted on his site as well.