Famille rose plate with sandy foot rim

Started by Rec, Sep 21, 2018, 21:16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

Hi guys,
Could you please help me with this unmarked famille rose plate with a slanted sandy foot rim
Thanks in advance and greetings

DavidC

Hello Rec.
I think these are quite new. Canton or Macau. $5 tops. Lads of these around thrift shops near me. Everyone uses thenm for drip trays on their pot plants. They look good actually. Best wishes D

Stan

This looks like 18th century to me, the foot is 18th century, however they are still being made today, but this one looks old, faces and decoration.

peterp

Some slanted rims appear occasionally on porcelain that should be very late Qing dynasty. Kiln grit can be present on Qianlong porcelain. The porcelain body was made in JDZ and then transported to Canton for decoration. Not sure about this plate, but they had old plates in storage for decades after production in the 18th century, until about the Jiaqing or even the Daoguang reign. Perhaps even longer???

Comparing the design and painting style with plates of the Guangzhou museum, this would probably be Guangxu, or earlier. The pattern did not appear yet in the Qianlong reign, so we can tell that this is probably 19th century. Not sure if early or late.

Stan

Thanks Peter for setting the record straight, I forgot that JDZ made a bunch of blanks and then decorated then in the later periods.

peterp

To clarify it, JDZ kilns would decorate the unfired items with underglaze blue pigments, glaze them, and then they were fired in one go. In the case of fencai items they were first glazed and fired, then then the decoration was painted on top of the glaze, and a second firing would happen.
However, all items painted in Canton had to be fired, unglazed blanks from Jingdezhen to be transported to Canton. The initial firing of the blans was required to harden them for transport from JDZ to Canton. Post-Qianlong export items using 18th century style porcelain bodies are likely using porcelain from such stored blanks.

Pablo82

Very interesting! Thank you as always for you expert contribution, Peter.

Stan

Rec

Hey guys,
I'll thank you for all your contribution and very glad to hear it's an old plate which is probably  decorated in the 19 century.
Greetings, rec

DavidC

Oooops.
I'm going to have a look at the 3 or 4 I have stuffed in a box in the garage. I was going to use them as drip trays for the plants.....Mine must be canton junk. I'm sure as sure. They were 3$ each and I overpaid. Well done Rec. A score!