Chinese or Japanese Incense Burner Pottery / Ceramics?

Started by wildflowerfield, Sep 14, 2018, 02:49:34

Previous topic - Next topic

wildflowerfield

Hello,
excuse my English first of all, i am no native speaker.
Can someone help me with this little piece of ceramic? I found it at a Fleamarket-Store. I know its a Incense Burner. Looks like Japanese to me, but i am really no expert, so i wanted a guess from someone who might know. You think it is a Vintage Item?

Many Thanks,
wildflowerfield

Stan

Hi Wildflower, what makes you think its an incense burner? if it is small it looks like a water dropper to me and an old one at that close up pictures of the brown glaze to verify also the size, thanks.

wildflowerfield

Hello Stan,
Thanks for your fast reply. Do you need any more pictures? And what is a water dropper? How old you think it is?

wildflowerfield

Here are the pictures in larger and a few close-ups. Its Evening right now, so i cant do Daylight pictures. The little pots diameter is 5" and 2.5" in Height.

Link to my Dropbox Folder:
www.dropbox.com/sh/ds1qp1a5jj1d59b/AACXwRKfjeidg3vG8uGzNooCa?dl=0

Thanks

peterp

A water dropper is used in the Far East when making ink for writing. The ink is a slab and must be rubbed on a surface, with the dropper adding water.

This looks like a typical Korean water dropper shape. 

wildflowerfield

Thank you Peter.
I thought it's a Incense Burner, because there was a Pricetag on it, saying its one. So the former owner didnt knew either.
But still cant imagine how old it is. What you think?

Stan

The glazed foot rim makes me think 20th century, the earlier ones were unglazed.

peterp

To me this does not look like a normal base or foot rim, Korean or other, because the place(s) where it stood during the firing process is not clear. There should be unglazed areas on the rim or base, or some stilt marks, at least. The foot rim could have been overpainted later to hide an ungainly foot.

Some testing might be appropriate. I would check if any of the black color on the base or foot rim is pliable, or can be easily scratched or removed with a knife or other sharp tool. Vitrified glaze should be hard and can not be removed. If it comes off, then it is not part of the original, fired glaze.

Stan

Your right Peter, their is 2 colors on the bottom and yet the rest of the brown glaze looks even and has a nice old look.

peterp

Hope there is not misunderstanding. I believe this is old, but it might be that the base is  'doctored', but not necessarily with the purpose of age faking.
Compared to Chinese and Japanese porcelain the ceramics of Korea often show very ugly and crude stilt marks on the bottom. These are here not visible. It is just a guess that these might have been overpainted over some time after firing. I do not think this is a fake.  :)

wildflowerfield

Hello Stan and Peter,
thanks again for letting me know about your thoughts. I gonna try to test if the color on the rim is pliable and or can be removed. I also think it looks kinda "wrong" on it. From the color and also the texture. I am just afraid to crack it.