Export porcelain

Started by Rec, Aug 22, 2018, 03:33:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

Hi
Could you please help me with Id this plate. I think it was produced in 19 century for export market
But i'm not sure because the painting.
The plate is 30 cm diameter and 4 cm high.  Under magnifiyer i can see enough wear signs

Thank you

Rec

peterp

The rim decoration does not look Chinese at all. Chinese made decorations for the western market may contain motifs like this one, but the rim of export porcelain has a specific appearance only found on plates for the western market.
Two possibilies are the most likely: Plated decoration one hundred percent made to western order or, this is chinoiserie.
My personal opinion.

Rec

Hi Peter,
I had also thought that this board would be decorated in Europe until I found a punch bowl with similar border decoration on the site of Sotheby's www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2015/property-collection-mary-sayles-booker-braga-n09412/lot.7.html please remove the link if I am in violation with posting rules.

Of course there are clear quality differences between mine plate and the bowl sold via Sotheby in 2015; which is from ca 1775. I think mine plate is probably from the 19th century, but i'm not sure. I would like to hear your expert opinion on this and I'll also be grateful if you can translate the mark for me.

thanks in advance and greetings,
Rec

peterp

This is one of the cases we cannot be sure about, unless we find a similar item. Yes, the decoration at the auction house is similar, it would be 18th century, commande-de-chine, in my view. The painting style of yours looks like that too, but the problem is the mark.
First, can you upload a picture of the whole bottom, possibly taken at about 45 degrees?
The foot rim in your pictures looks as if it was slanted. That would mean 18th century.
But the mark is a hall or shop mark of a type not existing then, and it is stamped, and stamping really took off only in about the mid-19th century.

So, you see where we get, something that looks like 18th century, but has a 19th century type mark.
You can try to find similar marks using the characters ???? (means 'made by Yongsheng Tang', Tang meaning 'store', usually, in the context of trade).

Rec

Hi Peter,
sorry for the late reaction, I was a few day out of the city.
Hopefully these  pictures are  good

peterp

The mark problem remains. In the last pictures the bottom looks as if it has not production faults or age signs.

Rec

Hi Peter,
these are detail fotos of the bottom. Last 3 pics made under m8croscoop

peterp

Could the mark have been added later? For me the questions remains the same. The mark on an older looking item. And anyway, what does a shop or hall mark in Chinese do on what seems to be export porcelain made for the west.