18th century with incised an-hua?

Started by kdr, Aug 21, 2018, 03:25:40

Previous topic - Next topic

kdr

Hi,
this plate has been broken and not so valuable, but I bought to learn and it caught my attention because of
1) the relief: is this what is called 'incised an-hua"?
2) the bottom with the really imperfect glaze: is it nonchalant done many years ago, or just an overdone fake?

It was sold as 18th century: does the foot rim and colour fit this statement, and why?
Thanks in advance,

Karin

kdr

peterp

I would say about Jiaqing reign, because of the inferior painting quality. The glaze faults of the bottom also point to firing problems that should not have existed in the previous reigns.

kdr

Thank you, Peter.
Technically?, the statement could be correct if it was made early Jiaqing ;-)

peterp

Not sure about that. The reason is that during early Jiaqing quality (painting) would have been similar to Qianlong, but it deterioriated later. Late Jiaqing is more likely in my opinion.
I am a bit baffled by the painting, because that quality (especially the ring around the flower) would have been more likely on Canton wares than those of Jingdezhen.

kdr

But it is underglaze blue, and as such not possible to be produced in Canton...

kdr

The glaze is inferior, the painting is inferior - so it should not have been exported and rather been used as local ware? Though, it was now in Europe.

peterp

It happens now all the time, it happened before. Some shipwreck items show that they sometimes even added items that were not new to the export wares.
Just don't pay too much to such items. They are only good for reference.

kdr

No, it was cheap (5 euro) and meant to be reference material. Looking at it at home makes me see things I don't notice when out, and makes me find and learn new things.
At this stage, everybody can fool me easily, so I rather prefer it be cheap lessons.
Thanks for your interesting input!