Edo Plates

Started by DavidC, Jul 29, 2018, 05:11:14

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidC

Hello All
Just seen these. I like blue and white Japanese but then again I like Japanese in general. Marked up as 18th century Edo. Could be but I really would prefer to consult here first. Its the mother in Law's birthday coming up. I mean, I don't want to die so better get it right. Right?
Best wishes all with humour and fine sentiments.
D

Stan

Hi David C, is this the actual blue color? and can you see any rust spots in the blue using a magnifier or loop?

DavidC

Hello Stan
Great question and normally I would be using the loop, but I saw these online. Unless I'm passing through the UK I cannot easily get to touch many pieces. Where I live unfortunately for me is completely deserted of Asian art and antiques. Literally there is none in a 500 mile radius. None that is antique (100+), that is. There are sadly container loads of junk.

These looked pretty and a pair and they just looked right for that perfect gift.
Best wishes D

Stan

The Chenghua mark dose not have the dot under the great character making it Taisho period 1913 to 1926 or later the dot changes the great to greatest, but very nice plates with scrolling peonies I think if the price is right would make a very nice gift.

DavidC

Thanks Stan
I'll bear that in mind. Changes everything really as they are advertised incorrectly therefore. Price is not worth what they ask for something of that age. Lucky for us we have access to such helpful resources like this forum. They were pretty plates though. Cheers D