Blue and white Hat Stand

Started by Stan, Jul 18, 2018, 03:44:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, this was a lamp when I got it, the shade was in bad shape so I took it apart, I can't tell if this is from the Qianlong period or later, it has little prick marks in the decoration and foot rim is flat and a little rough to the touch, that could be because it might have been set on the kiln floor, not sure about that though and the white ground has a slight blueish hugh to it, there is also a small repair at the top and a hair line crack about 2 inches, the hight is 27.95 cm and the diameter is 12.5 cm. I will post 12 photo's.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last set of photo's, thanks for viewing.

peterp

The base looks more like late Qing, perhaps Guangxu reign.
This is a hat stand and hat stands did only appear in the 19th century, as far as I know.

Stan

I did not know that hat stand were only a 19th century creation, do you know when they first came into use ?. Peter do you think it could be Jiaqing this has nice dead bubbles in it not like any of my other late Qing blue and white porcelains.

peterp

Stan, the base really does not look like 18th century. If it was Jiaqing, it would have to be on the later side. My personal opinion. Quality and content of painted decoration differs between domestic and export porcelain, and between low quality of average and good quality domestic porcelain. You should not compare with export porcelain.

This said, I previously warned from overly relying on dead bubbles. It should only be used in combination with other evaluation factors. This is relatively new information. I also see that the bubbles can have different grades of darkness/color. Some appearing to be dead bubbles may actually be irrelevant. The configuration of the bubbles seems to have some importance.

Stan

Thanks Peter, Guangxu it is.