A Japanese charger. Years and manufacturer.

Started by Stobaksov, Jun 25, 2018, 21:17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Stobaksov

Hello. Look at the big Japanese dish 14". Who did what and when? I'm not sure that the picture with the stamp is not upside down.
Thank you.

Stobaksov

Hello again. I will rephrase the question: Is this a Japanese charger?

Stan

Hi Stobaksov, sorry I thought I answered this, I must have forgot to post it, this is a Japanese Charger, 20th century, I could not find the mark and the crackle glaze is a bit unusual, but I would say 2nd half.

Stobaksov

One woman wrote that her Japanese husband could not read the mark. Because it's not Japanese kanji.

peterp

It is a character writing style that not everyone can read, as it is not used in daily writing. Those practising calligraphy are more likely to be able to recognize them. The bottom one is ?, but not sure about the others.

Stan

A friend of mine that studied Chinese and Japanese Calligraphy at U.C Berkley said the mark is a copy of early 20th century Chinese calligraphy but is Japanese, that was all the information he gave but he is very knowledgeable and I respect his opinion.
I suppose this charger could be early 20th century, the Japanese at this time was producing some of the finest porcelain in the world.

Stobaksov

HI, Stan. I respect his opinion too. Thank you.

peterp

Just wanted to add that the last character reads "Do" (meaning hall). In Japan, apart from temple halls it is/was most often used for business premises involved in selling something. This is not necessarily the manufacturer's mark, but might be the name of a shop or store for which the plate was made.