Help identifying Ship wreck porcelain?

Started by Donna123, Jun 24, 2018, 13:44:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Donna123

I bought some bowls at a garage sale and unfortunately the seller was acting for an ill owner so had no idea what they are. The thought was that they were from a ship wreck as this was a wealthy Japanese owner and these were the only items not in pristine condition. The feet on the base appear to have a face not sure if Chinese/Japanese or ??? There is a very small impressed mark on the back. Any information would be greatly appreciateed

peterp

The decoration looks Chinese, but I have never seen such a shape in Chinese porcelain before. You should upload bottom pictures.

Donna123

I've attached a couple more pics. I bought 5 of them and they are all slightly different decoration

Donna123

The only time I have seen this shape is at this auction
www.rm-auctions.com/en/asian-arts-i/2274-a-chinese-star-shaped-dragon-dish-ming-dynasty?

peterp

Thanks for the additional pictures, but they seem to confirm that either this is Japanese, or made in more recent times. Painting style and motif are typical Chinese, but Chinese BW items with feet virtually never have feet.This is not a Chinese shape. The mark also looks Japanese. Chinese marks are usually square or rectangular.

Donna123

Thank you so much for the info I really appreciate it

Mat

In my opinion this might be Hirado porcelain. Chinese-style landscapes are not uncommon on this ware, and the orange hue of the unglazed foots fits also for Hirado...

Stan

I agree, I think this Japanese as well, the embossed mark is typical although I could not find the mark in my books, The feet with toe's is interesting, and it is old, sorry I could not be of more help, perhaps Mat is right saying Hirado but the blue looks to dark to me.

Donna123

Thank you both Mat and Stan for the information.