Old bowl or censer

Started by mark123, Jun 12, 2018, 09:10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

mark123

Hello, I bought this piece at an auction today. I paid less than 200 dollars for it.  I'd like to learn more about the piece. Thank you, Mark

peterp

This is a censer with Jun type glaze. The bottom seems to have some age, but not sure if the exterior decoration is old. Verifying the glaze by someone knowing jun wares well is advised as there are lots of fakes.

mark123

Thank you Peter, I'll pick it up Wednesday. If I post more detailed photos, would you be able to identify it? Is it possible to identify it with photos or would an expert need to inspect it in person? Could this be from the Ming dynasty?

peterp

It is often impossible to tell jun wares authenticity or age from pictures alone. There are lots of fakes on the market and some are very convincing. That is the reason that it is best to have someone specialized on Jun wares inspect the glaze with a microscope or magnifier.
Even then it is sometimes not easy as the jun kiln system was one of the largest, with kilns as far north as today's Inner Mongolia and the Yangtze producing these wares. And this from the Song dynasty until at least the Ming dynasty. Therefore quality, type, color and glazes differ greatly.
I have somehow a vague impression that I have seen the exterior decoration, but not quite sure. I suggest you try to find a similar one.

mark123

I picked the censer yesterday. I want to share with a few more pictures. This is the best picture I got of the cracks in the glaze, I've uploaded 9 more on this website :
imgur.com/a/oS917LE