Previous topic - Next topic

LegacyMan

Hello,
What type of bowl is this/used for?
Any idea on the markings?
About 1.75" T.
Thank you

Stan

Hi LegacyMan, I am not exactly sure what this would be used for except the obvious, this is a Satsuma type made of earthenware, the mark and decoration leads me to think first quarter of the 20th century, I could not find the mark in my books.

LegacyMan

Thank you for the help.
I cannot find out what this is/what it is used for.
If you know please let me know.
Thank you

peterp

The mark says "Kyomizu Yaki" (Kyomizu kiln).

LegacyMan

Thank you so much for the help.
What is this piece called/used for?
I have looked and looked and have found nothing like it.

Stan

HI Peter, could the name read Kyomidzu instead of Kyomizu and the Yaki mark is different in my book, it looks similar to the many styles given in my book but none of them are the same as this mark given?, the bottom mark is illegible, Im thinking this mark could have been added, the bowl looks like it is really small, depending on the size could determine its use, if it is really small it could be used for used tea bags, if it is a good size it could have been uses to scoop up dried rice or grain,  it is not like others that I have seen for the uses mentioned.

LegacyMan

That is great info!
What I need to know please is what this bowl/dish is or what it is used for.
What is it called?
Thanks for the help.

Stan

Hi LegacyMan, I just found a couple tea sets in one of my books on Satsuma ware, it shows a tea pot and a small bowl shaped like yours another shows a complete set, it dose not say what the bowl is used for but I can only think it was used for the used tea bags, the ones in my book were dated 1900 by Kinkozan.

LegacyMan

Thank you for the great help and effort.

Stan

I found several other complete tea sets showing tea pot, cups and this bowl, unfortunately it dose not say what it is used for but I think I am right, used tea bags and the excess was pored into the cup or possibly back into the tea pot.

peterp

>>could the name read Kyomidzu instead of Kyomizu
No, the "d" is a typo.

>> and the Yaki mark is different in my book
First, the character is blurred and thus only partially visible. The correct current character is ?. The older, now unused version has more strokes but looks similar.

This is not a ceramics specific character. It is widely used to mean burn, bake and the like, including for food preparation like grilling, etc. There is no other character. If you see something different, it is most likely just badly written.

Stan

Thanks Peter for the correction, you are right, the only reference I have is listed in one book and it is miss spelled with a d instead of a z, thanks again for the correction, but it dose say these kilns were late 19th and 1st quarter of the 20th century, Satsuma types.