Yuan/Ming Celadon ewer

Started by thanh trinh, May 01, 2018, 11:18:27

Previous topic - Next topic

thanh trinh

G'day everybody!
This is an item that I've collected a year a go.
Is it a genuine one?
Thanks for any opinion
Regards
Thanh Trinh

peterp

I can not see any celadon.
If the glaze had not that many dots I would think perhaps Yuan dynasty. Usually glazes of that period should not show these dots. The connecting piece between body and spout has a strange shape too, as does the handle. Not sure if it is a fake or not, though. The foot rim looks more like Ming or later.

Stan

The pictures of the bottom are a bit fuzzy, it almost looks like chatter marks, could you take a clear picture of the bottom with a closer view thanks,

thanh trinh

Hi Peterp and Stan
Sorry, i'm late
these are photos of closer look
Thanks for viewing
Regards
Thanh Trinh

Stan

I do see a subtle  trace of chatter marks, I believe that, if you see rings and chatter marks it would be 20th century, Is that correct?

peterp

Chatter marks on a 20th century item would mean they were added intentionally. But the original chatter marks occurred due to the uneven rotation (axial movement) of the wheel, when the bottom was shaved with a tool. They would more commonly be found on plates or bowls, which are turned over on the wheel for this work.
I know chatter marks from the Ming Interregnum period, the late Ming dynasty and Qing dynasty (few) up to the Yongzheng reign. It may be difficult to pin it on a specific period as it relates to the wheels used in individual kilns. Chatter marks on an item like this are indeed odd.