What about this little plate? Stenciled or hand drawn?

Started by Rajet, Apr 16, 2018, 07:18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajet

I don't see any maker's mark on this little 7 7/8" plate.  It has two small surface chip flaws on the back rim edge and a couple of very tiny ones on the unglazed foot rim.  The biggest one is shown in the last picture.  It's about 1/4" wide but not deep.  So is this stenciled or hand drawn?  Age?  Looks hand drawn and older to me but I, of course, want your opinion.  Thank you!

Stan

This is indeed hand drawn, but the faces point to 2nd half of the 20th century.

Rajet

Thank you, Stan!  I believe I am getting the hang of it more and more.  Don't promise no set backs though.  ;D

Stan

Hi Rajet, I know what your saying, I'm sure Peter has been frustrated with me when I ask him the same questions over and over, and then finally I get it, experience is the best teacher, when ever you see the lines hand drawn you can see where they started and as the paint stroke progresses it gets thiner and thiner as they go, and printed is all the same color from start to finish, but there are sharp painting tools that can make it look printed because the stroke is the same but even then you can see with a loop magnifier the difference.