Jun bowl

Started by ssbill, Mar 07, 2018, 01:03:24

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

To my inexperienced eyes the bowl could be old. But, in regards to chinese porcelain, I trust the experts on this forum more than my own judgement. Old or new?

giulio cesare

hi, it looks like mine, is not it?

ssbill

It looks similar but the colors are darker on mine. I know the bowl is probably new and made to look old... I just want to check to be sure.

heavenguy

Mine doesn't have the purple splash. hehe...

This are really hard to identify... Only an expert present can identify...

peterp

There are scores of fake jun bowls. None of the bottoms of these three look like the genuine ones I have seen, but I could not say for sure they are fake either. That is the difficulty. The colors could all be right, but there are no worm traces, but not all have them. The bottom is most essential.

giulio cesare

these should be examples of authentic Jun bottom,

peterp

Giulio, I can only tell that the left two have a bottom looking like Song. There would really more pictures of details, etc. needed.
Genuine jun wares are expensive, and they are difficult to verify. That is probably the main reason that there are many imitations.

giulio cesare

Yes Peter, unfortunately they are not mine, but belong to an important collection, the two small ones are the song, the bigger one later. :-)

heavenguy

I was looking trough the images that ESKENAZI gallery had, (Thankyou SSBill) and they have a set of Junyao bowls exactly like mine. What caught my eye is not only that they have the same size, 6.2cm but also the same dripping glaze shape. I just ordered a catalog were I think they have some pictures and information about the junyao bowls.

What I notice is that if you can see my bowl on the bottom, you can see it has like 3 bottom unglazed parts similar to the ones at ESKENAZI gallery. I was wondering why, and then I thought are they finger marks? I position my hands over the unglazed parts and they fit like a glove. So I guess they pick up this bowls with three fingers, and the middle finger leaving a triangle unglazed mark on the bowl. The thumb was on the rounder and the ring finger on the next. SO I guess that was the way they dip them in the glaze.

i'm going to wait for the catalog to learn more about there pieces.

I attached an image so you guys see what I mean. Also, you can see a small worm trace to the left. and for some reason, this bowl kind of changes in color. I know it has to do with the lighting  but when there is low light it has this dark kind of grayish blues, but when its in the light, it changes color to this high blue like the last photo.

Cheers,

ssbill

[Post removed by admin]

Please read the rules about posting links to external sites, above.
"Links to external sites"

We do not talk about pricing because this forum is public, and pricing is highly relative. Please see https://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/value-of-antiques.html

admin

peterp

To heavenguy:
That is indeed the way smaller items and bowls were often glazed, until at least the end of the Ming dynasty.
This one could be Yuan, with this type of unglazed bottom, but I am not convinced by this single picture. It might or might not be authentic. It would take at least a close inspection of the glaze. Jun bowls often are faked to a high degree so that it is difficult to detect unless one is specialized on this item type and period.
Maybe I have seen too many fakes to easily believe one is genuine.

heavenguy

Thank you Peterp,

I try not to get not too over exited with a piece until I feel comfortable with the amount information I have regarding the piece. With experience, you kind of learn not to anyways.  Right now, So far so good. I understand what you mean about seen too many fakes. I had never had the opportunity to handle a real piece so I cannot tell you how they feel. When buying things, I kind of go by what my gut tells me to and my memory. I don't have photographic memory but for some reason I do remember what i see in books and major auction houses photos. With time, you also read about other peoples fakes and kind of remember the information and images. Like you said applied the other way around, I have seen some many fakes on eBay and forums, that when you see a different one from the fakes, you kind of learn what you need to look for.

So far I was reading a lot of material about jian bowls. I guess is now time to read about Junyao bowls. I Also, hope that this catalogue has some information on the pieces and extra pics. I'll come back with more info when I read more about it... Thank you for your time.

peterp

We all go through the same problems each time we start with a new type of item type, and sometimes it is necessary to get fakes too, to learn.
I can see you already understand what is probably the most difficult in collecting porcelain. It takes many years to attain -- restraint. Without it we would quickly have a bunch of fakes.  :)