kangxi phoenix jar

Started by ssbill, Feb 21, 2018, 13:12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

It is mounted to a lamp so I can't get a photo of the bottom. The lamp is from the 1960s or 1970s which would be unusual because you usually find old chinese vases mounted on 1920s or 1930s lamp. It has a detachable lid which mean it was not made new to be mounted to a lamp and therefore must be older. The glaze doesn't look new and there's a few rust spot (on 2nd picture) . The shape and decorations looks OK to me for kangxi period. I would like to know your opinion. Thanks

Stan

The blue color looks like a late 19th century to me.

peterp

Maybe even newer...without a bottom picture the possibility that it is not old is high.

Stan

Your right Peter, the dental detail on the top and bottom looks modern.

peterp

I'm afraid not. Stan. I assume that is what we call the 'castle wall pattern' here? That was first used in the Shunzhi reign, at the beginning of the Qing dynasty. But it appears not that much except much later on ginger jars of the Guangxu reign. It often appears on export porcelain jarlets having the prunus pattern.

I think overall, the color is a bit too bright, and all looks much too perfect compared to other such jars  that I have seen, previously. Overall it has a pristine look. The brown spots can appear at any time, or be created artificially during firing.
The problem is that some items where made in the 20th century in classic style, and used for lamps. If we cannot see the bottom or mouth/inside, it is virtually impossible to check if it could be old from pictures only.

Stan