Plate export

Started by konniela, Feb 17, 2018, 20:33:30

Previous topic - Next topic

konniela

So here the second plate, also restored.

Same question: 18.century ?

Thanks once more

Stan

This plate looks more authentic than the last 18th century.

peterp

Could be Kangxi, and could be wucai rather than fencai. The blue color is fencai, if it is on the glaze and not under it. In that case it would have to be late Kangxi. A close view of the colors should clarify that.

konniela

I tried to make photos for a closer view to the colours.

konniela

Stan

The blue is definitely on top of the glaze, this type of blue I always thought it was a tin glaze, it is not translucent like the Fencai blue, could this blue have been imported from Europe where they had such glazes during the 18th century?

konniela

I have just seen that one photo is from the other plate, sorry for that, here the right photo.

peterp

Fencai means literally powder color. In China this is also called "soft color", differentiating it from the "hard" wucai and Canton enamels.
The "soft" here means that it can have soft tones. The hard colors are more or less one intensity, it is not possibly to lighten their shades. Fencai can be from a very light to a dark color tone. Like the red flowers shown here, their petals have light edges but are darker in the center. I think the blue could be toned down to a light color too by just decreasing the pigment or increasing the medium. But most of the early ones were often used for small areas only. Underglaze blue was more often used and was often combined with fencai.But I could not say I am very sure here, because Canton enamels don't seem to be fencai either.