No Ming

Started by konniela, Mar 28, 2018, 01:08:55

Previous topic - Next topic

konniela

The mark on this vase will say Hongwu (?). I think, it is not a Ming vase, but may be it is possible, to find out, when this vase can be made. 

I know, the photos are not the best.

peterp

You should provide a proper side and bottom view. Shape and bottom are the first and most important features to look at. Closeup partial pictures of the underglaze decoration, showing the blue and red colors may help too. However, please note that no or almost no Hongwu items were ever marked.

konniela

Sorry, I should know that.

Here are all photos, I can present.

konniela

peterp

If you haven't bought it yet, I would not. This has some early Ming features, but the blue pigment/color and the red one too, is not right for any early Ming item of this type. This would be over 600 years old, if of the period, but there are no real age signs?  Only soil, smeared on probably to make it look old, inside the mouth and on the bottom.

konniela

Thank you, I know it is no Ming vase, but would you buy it for a few ? ? I would, if it is no modern fake.

peterp

Chances that it is not a modern fake are slim.

konniela

This vase can stay where it is, modern fakes are not welcome here.

As long, as my knowledge is lightyears  away from yours (the next hundred years), I will ask before I buy.

Thanks once more

Stan

I have a question for Peter, in the Ming Dynasty did they decorate the inside top of the mouth as shown here, I see it on Japanese Meiji period vases often.

peterp

I do not know if it was used "often", but it appears on items. Probably more in the early Ming dynasty, though. This decoration was used mainly in the Yuan and early Ming dynasties, it appears. But you know, Japan copied many Chinese decoration elements too, including those on Ming porcelain. Some Ming decorations were copied at least until the 19th century, as far as I know.