2 Guangxu Plates, Period?

Started by kardinalisimo, May 17, 2014, 20:25:50

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Here is a close up of the dragon. I guess there were general rules of drawing the beast during the period but don't know if every piece should have been painted exactly the same way. Probably depended on who the artist was as well.
I wonder if it is normal the reign marks to be slightly different. I am assuming the marks should have be done by the same person or not.

Stan

The dragons scales are completely different than the ones on Christies and there are several to compare, not one resembles yours, I think your instinct to being later is correct.

kardinalisimo

I cannot see good from the image you posted but I found some examples of Guangxu period pieces on Christies and Bonhams. Basically, I saw two or three different types of scales but all the dragons were very detailed and finely executed. 

Here is a dragon like mine, not that detailed and similar scale. They claim to be period piece but it does not look like very reliable source.
http://www.xupes.com/Antiques-Fine-Art/Product-Details/3567/DRAGON-FAMILLE-ROSE-PLATE/Exceptional-Antique-Chinese-Imperial-Dragon-Famille-Rose-Plate-Guangxu-Mark-1875-1908.html

So, I don't know. I will keep researching. I am more worried about the painting quality of the dragon and not being that detailed. I guess the Imperial pieces from any period are much more fine than the regular ones.  But, does the reign mark mean that if the piece is from the same period, it has to be Imperial. Was there a law that forbids the use of the dynasty marks on regular ceramics?

peterp

Stan may have talked about the blue reign mark. In the Guangxu reign blue reign marks were frequently used on official porcelain, made for the court, but the rules were not that rigid anymore in those times.
Don't get fixed on the mark. Whatever mark there is, it is not important. The porcelain body, base and decoration are much more important for deciding age and authenticity.

I have seen items of a similar type (not the same) that were made in the 1920s, but do not know for sure from when this is. Your pictures are just not close enough, and not showing minute details.
But, I can tell you that underside color decorations like those found on your plates usually mean it is late Guangxu or republican period, at the least. Could be much later, though.

If a collector has an item that he cannot decide for sure what it is, then it is usually best to keep it and wait until something similar appears. Sometimes time and increased knowledge allows us to decide by ourselves if an item is  antique of fake. Don't try to force it, wait for your opportunity. All collectors have items of which they do not know for sure if they are genuine, and from when. But, before all, don't get fixed on marks.

kardinalisimo

Don't get me wrong about the marks Peter. Just in general I wanted to know if Imperial onces were used on commercial ware. I will post closeups later on. The side decoration is very fine and smooth. The face of the plate  is also well done to my eyes. Just this dragon is bugging me.

peterp

You still get it the wrong way round. :-)
The term "imperial mark" describes the marks used on items made for the palace, which had to conform to the court's guidelines/rules in this respect.
Marks that were made in the same manner used on minyao porcelain were a possibility, but they were simply not "imperial marks", hence there is no such thing as an imperial mark on commercial were.

kardinalisimo

Sorry for reviving so old topic.
I have a question about the shape of the dishes. They are not perfectly round. One of the diameter is 18.1 cm and the other 18.6 cm. Is that considered defect or it is normal? If made for the court they should be perfectly shaped, or not?
Thanks