Blue Ginger Jar

Started by bokaba, Dec 13, 2017, 13:20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

Dear Members,

Is this a late 19th/early 20th Century piece? I have concerns about the dirty foot rim and strong blue and red pigments used in the landscape and figural decoration.

Thank you

Bokaba

Stan

Hi Bokaba, I would say just by the colors and the way some of the flowers are painted makes me think the vase is just as fake as the 5th ave and sack st sticker, what dose the inside look like is their any dirt inside or dose it look like it just came from the kiln?

Stan

In all fairness, in the 60's and 70's after the cultural revolution when trade was opened with China a lot of Antiques and new porcelain was exported to the U.S I think this could be from that time period, the blue is a powder blue, I have had similar items of high quality from this period.

peterp

Thanks for reminding us, Stan. We need to keep in mind that the 20th century also produced a lot of nice porcelain, not only inferior fakes.
While the overall style looks like Kangxi or Guangxu, the coloration is just a bit too complex for those periods. I think the beautiful gilt on dark blue decoration would not have survived intact without abrasion if it were older.

bokaba

Thanks Peter and Stan. I thought at first that this piece might be late Qing, but the strong colors and painting style looked 20th Century. The thick black outlines with no wear are also not right as well as the intricate gilding with no wear.

It appears the decoration is imitating a Kangxi pheasant, rocks, and chrysanthemum motif:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/42403?sortBy=Relevance&ft=kangxi+vase&offset=0&rpp=20&pos=16

There are Kangxi period blue ground vases with all intact gilding in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam (sorry for the black and white photo).

Bokaba