Can anyone identify this please?

Started by Elaine, Dec 11, 2017, 00:39:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Elaine

Hi the question is not about this but I have just joined the forum and I want to know whether this oriental vase is japenese or chinese what type it and what the markings on the bottom mean can anyone help please? thanks How do I upload a picture of the vase and the base please?

Stan

Hi Elaine, this is Japanese Satsuma with the Shimazu crest " circle with a cross" the mark is illegible but it could be Yaki a satsuma type.

Elaine

I have looked on a website and these 3 characters are on the base of the piece it says The "Dai Nippon" (??? 'Great Japan') mark was applied to items during the Meiji period (1868?1912) any thoughts, sorry I am a novice.

Stan

Yes that is right generally, but you can also find these marks on later items as well, I think this would fit the later, more mid century in my view, the bright gold and style, and could you post a photo of the complete bottom at an angle to view the shape of the foot, this photo should be clear showing any pitting or age signs, thanks.

Elaine

Thanks Stan if I was to sell it what should I list it as please?

Stan

Sorry Elaine, we do not discuss value on this site, I suggest you find an appraiser in your area.

Elaine

Hi I didn't want a value of the item I just wanted to know what the markings meant, apologies if you misunderstood.