A Japanese Crackle vase probably from Kyoto?

Started by heavenguy, Dec 06, 2017, 02:47:32

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello guys,

Also having a hard time with this vae. I know its Japanese and the artwork is simply amazing. I never seen pink on a vase like this before. The mark on the bottom is hard for me. The only thing I can read is dai nippon. The rest is blank for me.  Looks nothing like Satsuma but it could be somewhere from the Kyoto kilns... Any idea on the age or what the marks says...

Thank you in advance.

bokaba

Looks like you're right about Kyoto. I can't read the right column, but it looks like it says ?????? (Made in the Great Japan at Kyoto). The color palette looks art nouveau much like the Nippon ware items, so this is possibly early 20th Century.

Bokaba 

Stan

The maker is Kinkozan, the mark would suggest late 19th century to early 20th. 1900.

heavenguy

Thank you all!!! Another one for the collection... =)

bokaba

Hi Stan,

Where do you Kinkozan? I don't see it in the characters, only Kyoto. Did Kinkozan (or the factory) sign pieces without their name?

heavenguy

I think they have many different ways of writing it... I think I need to start learning Japanese...

Mat

I also do not see a Kinkozan signature, the first Kanji in the right column is "?", meaning "right" (in opposition to left)...

bokaba

Mat, this was probably a mirrored pair. These "right" and "left" markings were used to let the decorator know what pattern to paint.

Stan

Hi Mat, in my book of " Japanese Marks and seals", there is a mark that looks very similar to Kinkozan, the two marks that are clear to the left "Kioto Kinkozan, I believe to be the signature of the potter, there is another mark identical, Im sure it is Kinkozan.