Arita (Hi)zen

Started by konniela, Nov 07, 2017, 20:45:45

Previous topic - Next topic

konniela

Is the red Hizen mark a reliable sign for Meiji period (1868-1912) ?

Stan

Post the vase and the mark, usually on Meiji you would have Hizen along with the marker with Japan or made in Japan, I can't say that I have seen just a Hizen Mark.

konniela

Hello,

I quickly made some photos from my big (40 cm) plate. 

konniela

Stan

Hi Konniela, this is called a Charger and I stand corrected this is a Hizen mark, could you post another photo of the whole bottom again at an even steeper angle showing the foot rim, I know that on early Meiji the outside foot is slanted and later in the 1900's they were straight up, the book that I have on Hizen marks dose not show this single mark, so late Meiji might explain it, nice charger by the way.

konniela

Hello,

here are more photos.

I have read, that this mark was used in 1868-1912.

I can not decide, if the foot is slanted or not, I hope the photos can help.

Thanks 

Stan

Hi Konniela, these are good photo's but I need the outside of the foot rim, just like you took of the inside, thanks.

konniela

Hello and good morning,

I try again, but there is no good light so early in the morning here (german time 6.07 AM)

Stan

Excellent Photo's, this shows the out side and the inside foot rim, thanks Konniela, the earlier chargers have a more slanted foot on the outside than this, I would say late Meiji.

konniela

Hello,

thank you. I never thought, that just this one is old. With the red mark in front, it looks modernly. so you can be wrong. So now, I have to find a better place for my antique charger, one reasonable place !

I learned here so much in a few days, it?s incredible. 

I?ll be back with one more plate (or what ever the right name will be).

Stan

Hi Konniela, if you have a 10X loop magnifier you should see what appears as small rust spots in the blue color.

konniela

Hallo again, when I have a better loop magnifier, I will have a look.

The last days I spend a little time, to find out, how a foot rim of an charger from earlier meiji period can look like. I found this one an I think, this is, may be, what you mean by  a slanted (bent outwards) foot rim, I hope so.

Stan

Hi Konniela, this is a typical 19th century bottom showing the typical foot rim, the 20th century ones were not as slanted, but these are being faked today, this came from an old estate with provenance.

konniela

So now I understood the difference, this charger was only an example. It was not easy to find a suitable photo, that I could use.
Also good to know, that there can be fakes between. Every information will help, to see charger with different eyes.

Thanks