Turquoise color glazed carved bowl

Started by Stan, Sep 29, 2017, 02:47:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, when I first saw this bowl my heart jumped, I know quality when I see it and I have never seen anything of this quality before so I think it might be special, the turquoise glaze is consistent throughout and at the top rim their is gold applied, this is very thinly potted as one of the photos show light through the bowl, the pictures do not justify the real bowl, the mark is underglaze and the surface just on top of the mark is like a sheet of glass, that is the only thing on this bowl that is glossy also their are large bubbles just in the mark area, they are consistent throughout the mark, their are no bubbles or crackle in the turquoise glaze, the mark is a Jiaqing mark do you think this is mark and period?, thanks

Stan

Here are the rest of the photo's, thanks again.

Stan

peterp

This green color is usually found on the interior or bottom of vessels.
The gilt on the rim is quite common. The foot rim looks flat rather than round, is it? Not sure if the decoration is carved. Usually I tend to think it is impressed.
How thin is it? Is it what some call egg shell porcelain? And yes, could well be M&P.

Stan

Hi Peter, the foot rim looks flat to me and the porcelain is a little thicker than egg shell, the only reason I was saying carved is the decoration looks carved, it is to pristine to me to be modled and the bowl is perfectly round, but i have no idea, you would know better than me, if you say its molded than molded it is. Thanks Peter for all your help.

peterp

Cannot tell for sure, Stan. Not from pictures. If it was carved there more likely would be some sharp corners cause by the tools, but here they are all slightly rounded. But that could also be due to a thick glaze.
BTW, some thin items naturally are semi-transparent. But with egg-shell the clay body is usually shaved off partially, leaving mostly glaze. But such items are very thin and fragile. It might well be that this one was shaved a bit on the inside to increase transparency, before applying the glaze there.