Qianlong vase ?

Started by moska, Sep 26, 2017, 02:16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

moska

Hello , what do you think about this blue and white vase with a qianlong mark , i think it's an old vase ... Thanks .

moska

Stan

Hi Moska if this was Qianlong period then it would be imperial, but sorry to say that the mark is not written correctly and is not of the period in my opinion.

peterp

Stan, the mark would be okay for private kilns of the period. They used many mark variations, the only that can be said is that period marks usually use the zhuanti script, while kaiti characters are more of an exception in the Qianlong reign. Only official kiln items were always drawn very neatly.
I agree, however, that the decoration is probably not period. To me it looks more like 20th century. The The blue color tone and flat appearance of the floral decoration doesn't look right for Qing.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I had no idea that Imperial marks were done out side the Imperial kilns during the Qianlong period, I thought that
Zhuanshu script marks were restricted for the emperor only.

peterp

No Stan, that is not what I meant. Both the official (imperial) and the private kilns used Qianlong reign marks, but the official kiln was subject to the court's strict regulations in this regard, and used only a few types, while private kilns could use anything as they were not subject to said regulations. So you may find a large number of Qianlong reign marks on items made by private kilns, but the use of marks did not make these items imperial. That was normal.
(I know only one reign that was an exception, namely the Kangxi reign; during part of that reign the use of reign marks by private kilns was forbidden. As far as I know mainly during the later part of that reign.)