GE type bottle vase

Started by Stan, Aug 19, 2017, 22:28:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I won this at a local auction, this came with the flambe vase, they were sold together, it has a nice cledon color and is very heavily potted, it is 53.3 cm tall, interesting enough is the glaze has small to large bubbles under a loop, and there are some small rust spots in the glaze, I have never had a vase with a glaze like this before, I am thinking this could be late Qing but I am not sure, your expertise is appreciated, thanks.

heavenguy

Wow Stan. You always find the coolest stuff. The stuff I find is recent but you seem to hit the jackpot every week.

Is the top line on the neck glaze drip or a hairline> I can't really tell.

The shape and foot looks to be 19th century... but I'm always wrong on this... Still a really nice looking vase..

Stan

Thanks Heavenguy, I go through all the Antique shops and try to hit the Estate sales, that is where you get your best deals is the Estate sales also local auctions, at the top is a crackle with long hairlines that are inside and out side of the vase, the hair lines are in the glaze similar to GE ware or Guan type items, this is a reproduction but I am not sure of the age, the shape would be right for late Qing or early republic I think, but I have not seen a large bottle vase in this style before.

peterp

Looks as if it was mid to late Qing dynasty (judged by the base). This is not Ge ware. Ge glazes have a relatively small crackling, similar to that on the bottom, or even smaller sometimes.

peterp

I would like to take the opportunity to provide some info - this is the ideal object to show what I mean.
Note the vertical lines which are slanted toward the right at the top? The slanting indicates the general direction of the turning wheel. You will find such a general direction of the vertical crackles or crazing even in other crackling. The lines indicate that the wheel was rotating clockwise, which is normal for China. With Japanese porcelain the left or anti-clockwise direction should be normal.

Stan

Thanks Peter, that is good to know, I had no idea that the Chinese and Japanese potters wheel turns in different directions, that should make it easier to tell the difference between the two, Now the hair lines are formed in the glaze when it is fired, is that right? and would this be called a Guan copy?

peterp

The crackling is more like Guan, but Song Guan wares never had a white glaze.

Stan