Japanese Studio Pottery Dish

Started by kardinalisimo, Jul 21, 2017, 20:07:38

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Stan

Hi Kardinalisimo, I do not know much about Raku ware, I do know that authentic 16th, 17th century items used for tea ceremonial service is quite valuable, but I see a lot of ceramics coming out of Japan these days that look similar to yours, I think you are right about the mark, a studio mark, however I have never seen the mark which represents a right or left on a plate nor have I seen the decoration on old Japan, most likely modern, but like I say not something I collect, maybe someone else can identify the mark.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply Stan.
I am not sure if the type of pottery is Raku here.
As to the age, hard to tell, not super old but could have a bit of age. There are modern Japanese potters who are well known and their pieces sell really good. But without reading the marks we can't tell what it is.
The base and the foot are quite sloppy but I guess that common for some Japanese wares.
I did  not quite get your comment about the mark?

peterp

The bottom one is 'Matsu', part of a name. With the other I cannot recognize this character, or if it IS any character at all.

Stan

Sorry I miss read the mark, thanks Peter for correcting, the glaze is similar to Raku ware glazes of modern times.