Kangxi Plate

Started by bokaba, Jul 16, 2017, 09:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

I was wondering if this is a Kangxi plate, perhaps late 17th/early 18th Century, possibly for the Dutch export market. It is about 9 inches across. It features stylized Chinese figures and border of prunus and other auspicious objects.

Thank you

Bokaba

peterp

The shape of the foot rim is not visible. The picture showing it should be taken at an angle of approximately 45 degrees.
Is it only me or does this look like a Japanese plate with a motif of people painted in Chinese style? The rim and underside decoration to not look Chinese.

Stan

You are right Peter the women's hair looks almost like Japanese and the back decoration.

peterp

I was more thinking about the sections on the rim. They look more like Arita than anything Chinese I know. I'm aware that those rim divisions possibly are taking their original idea or influence from 17th century Kraak style or Zhangzhou porcelain, but especially from the later Kangxi decorations. Some of the Kangxi rim decorations look like something in-between the late Ming and the Arita rim decorations, but here the rim decoration is already farther away from the original Ming than the Kangxi ones. The underside decoration is also very atypical, as is the rim shape, if it was Kangxi. I do really not know what to think.

There is a period in the early Qing dynasty when some items looked similar to Japanese ones (when they also were copying the Japanese Imari decorations), but I do not get the impression this is Chinese. I know the bottom does not look Japanese, but...

Stan

I have not seen a Kangxi bowl in this shape with a scalloped edge nor Japanese bowl with this shape, but Chinese and Japanese were always copying each other, I can see an Arita influence though.

bokaba

I think they were trying to copy a 17th Century Chinese export for the Dutch market. Unfortunately, we can't see the foot or side decoration on this one.

www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/AK-RBK-14396-B

Bokaba