B&W 18th Century Plates

Started by bokaba, Jul 08, 2017, 11:53:22

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

I was wondering if these two plates are 18th Century or newer. They are both about 9-10" in diameter. I don't have much experience with blue and white wares.

Thank you

Bokaba

Plate 1

peterp

Is the foot rim of plate 1 slanted inward on the outside, but more or less vertical on the inside of the foot rim? I ask because the shadows on the left give the impression as if that could be a rounded foot rim.

A bottom view of plate 2 would be appropriate for dating. I just have to repeat what I always say, the decoration can be easily copied. That means a later plate could have an earlier period's decoration. While those of us who are accustomed to seeing these things know what it likely is, by its decoration, we always flip over an item to confirm that the rim is consistent with the decoration.

bokaba

Peter, I originally posted a picture of the bottom of plate 2. Is it not showing up?

peterp

No, I could not see it initially. This happened last week too. I will keep an eye on this.

So, does the foot rim of plate 1 have the same shape as that of plate 2? If it does, then in my view plate 1 is late Kangxi, that is from about 1700 to the end of that reign.
Plate 2 looks appears to be a Qianlong plate.

bokaba

Hi Peter,

Here are some additional pictures of the foot rim of Plate 1.

Bokaba

peterp

Thanks. Yes, late Kangxi in my view, judging by the color.