Prunus vase

Started by calder, Jul 05, 2017, 07:07:25

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Hello
What are peoples thoughts on this Jar Late Qing?
Have been offerd it for ?120,00
Is it worth it?
In perfect condition .
Just under 40 cm in height. stand included.

bokaba

Hi Calder,

From prior discussions, it appears that Kangxi period prunus jars tend to have unglazed necks and a profound cracking-ice blue ground. From what I've seen, the jars with a swabbed on ground tend to be from either the 19th Century or are new fakes.

www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/46774

Bokaba

Stan

Hi Calder, the prunus design is one of the most copied designs through the Qing dynasty and later, I think yours is later than Qing because of the bottom, I do not see any age signs, maybe republic.

peterp

With such small images it is difficult to see details of the decoration, or base.

Stan

Sorry Calder, Peter is right, the images are to small, I get a little frustrated when I see images like this, especially on the web site's that sell porcelain and post small images like this on purpose, so you can not really tell the age, I was looking at the design  and the bottom, but a close up of the bottom and one of the detail is needed to confirm.
BTW if this is 19th century, I think it at that price is to cheap in my opinion,especially with a lid and with a nice stand like the one shown.

bokaba

I would try asking the seller for larger, more detailed pictures. It is hard to tell, but the jar looks to be too think to be the traditional "ginger" jar shape that was in use at the end of the 19th Century IMO.

Bokaba

Stan

Hi Calder, all the Prunus vases that I have seen in the late Qing period have had glazed at the sholder and top and inside rim, this looks unglazed which means it could be early 19th or 20th century.

calder

Thank you for your your input.

calder

Picture of the wooden base.

Stan

Thanks Calder for the additional photo's, could you send a close up of the bottom at an angle, this should be clear thank you.

Lee Seng Kong

From a layman point of view, if it is only GBP 120.00........I would buy it.....the wooden stand itself should cost half it

calder

Thank you all,as soon it arrives I will post better pictures.

calder

calder

calder