Japanese porcelain lantern or censor?

Started by Stan, Jun 26, 2017, 03:02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Here is a Japanese porcelain lantern, I think, it is large, the hight is 38 cm it is reticulated and has burn marks on the inside, either from a candle or from burning incense, the colors look like they are tin glazed colors, I know that japan imported a lot of these colors, there is also several Kiri crests on this piece, I have never seen anything like it, I would be interested in age and any information on this piece, thank for viewing.

Stan

Stan

Here are the last of the photo's, thanks for any information, I to will post if I find out anything my self, thanks again.

Stan

I forgot to mention the top has a Ho Ho bird and the head is missing, also the colors are not as bright as shown in these photo's.

bokaba

Very interesting Stan. It looks like a raised Moriaga type relief. It may be candle lantern as incense burners usually have a reticulated top rather than sides for the smoke to rise out.

The only candle lanterns I have seen are the garden, shrine type (many large ones can be seen in public places in the town of Arita).

The only remotely similar piece I could find was a Kutani candle lantern, perhaps early 20th Century. I think the auctioneer's description as a "biscuit jar" is incorrect:

www.liveauctioneers.com/item/44807203_japanese-reticulated-hexagonal-cracker-jar

Your piece is finely carved and would have taken significant effort to produce. My guess is late 19th Century at the latest.

Bokaba

peterp

My reasoning is for a lamp there are too few holes to be effective, unless it would hold a candle as a sort of night lamp. Also, bokaba mentioned that there are no holes at the top, as a censer would have; but inside there is something that looks like soot adhering to the top.
My suggestion as to its purpose:  I would think that it might be a bell shaped censer cover, but it is just a guess. This could be something specific to Japan. As Chinese houses are basically stone and brick built they would not need this, but Japanese houses, even today are basically wood, paper panes , straw mats, and walls covered with a mixture of dirt and straw (even today). I mean ceilings, sliding doors and the floors are usually made of combustible materials.
This might be a bell-shaped safety cover for a censer, used to cover the whole censer after the incense is burned (or almost burned), as a safety cover, when no one is nearby to watch it.
You will note that Japanese censers almost invariably have a lid, while Chinese ones rarely do, possibly the brick floors, etc are one reason, the use of incense sticks is also common.

Stan

That is interesting Peter, I never thought that it could have been used for housing a censor, that would explain why there is no wax residual on the bottom,  thanks Peter that makes sense.
Yes Bokaba, this is a raised mirage, I am hoping that someone can identify it and its age, I will post what I find out, that is if I find anything, thanks for your input it is much appreciated.

bokaba

Do you think it could have originally been a cricket cage that was later used as an incense burner?

Stan

I do not think so because the reticulated holes are to big, crickets would easily escape, but nice try.

bokaba

Hi Stan,

This is the closest item I was able to find to your incense burner. It appears to be an Arita type koro (doesn't look like Moriage like yours). It has the reticulated carving in the walls and lid (not a bell a jar). The seller claims it is 18th Century, but I think more in the lines of 19th Century, probably still Edo Period though.

www.rubylane.com/item/649914-jp18AritaKoro/Japanese-Arita-Imari-18th-century-porcelain

Bokaba

Stan

Hi Bokaba, I agree the item shown looks 19th century to me to and the gold is to pristine to be 18th century, I believe mine is 18th century, the only thing I could compare it to is " A Japanese Tapering Reticulated Square Vase 18th century" you can view it at Chrities.com and then go to past auctions and search Japanese Tapering Reticulated Square Vase 18th century, and it should pop up, it has the same colors and combination of colors, I was hoping that someone could confirm because during this time it would have been illegal to for a potter or anyone to use the Kiri crest out side the imperial kilns, I read that it would be death to anyone that did, also the three leaves would suggest that this would have been made for the emperor to give as a gift to an official or of someone of importance, on imperial items made for the emperor him self there would have been 5 to 7 leaves, thanks Bokoba that is certainly the closest think to what I have.