early republic small plate

Started by Stan, May 29, 2017, 10:14:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I bought this because the writing looks old and it is in good condition, the plate is 22.2 cm wide and has a stipple look on the front and back of the plate however the bottom is flat and smooth surface, could you tell me if there is a date and how old you think it is, thanks again.

Stan

Here are the last set of photo's to view, thanks again.

Hmm

Looks like ?? is written on it.  So 1870 or 1930?

Stan

Thanks Hmm, I believe that in the late to early republic that this stipple texture on the white ground occurred which makes to to think 1870 however I know that it has also been faked in the later 20th century,  do you know if it mentions the artist?

Hmm

Yes.  For once I think I can read it.  It looks like it says it's by this guy. 

??? (baike.baidu.com/item/%E6%AF%95%E4%BC%AF%E6%B6%9B)

Hmm

Based on when he lived though, it looks like it might be 1930 vs 1870.  Since he was born in 1886. 

It also looks like a lot of his works were done in the 1930s, based on his pieces on this webpage.  www.artnet.com/artists/bi-botao/past-auction-results 

Stan

Thanks again Hmm, it looks like the date would be 1930, but did they have a stipple effect on the glaze then, all the Items shown by Bi-Botao have a smooth surface, but I will have to say that there is a very good resemblance on this plate and the ones shown, thanks for your help.

Hmm

I agree.  Generally that type of stippling glaze effect, I see in pieces that are pre-1900.  Perhaps there were blanks, just like we see some Qianlong plates that look like they weren't decorated until later on in the 19th century based on their foot?

This page.  www.koh-antique.com/qj/qjmain.html  Looks like there were some pieces that had that effect as late as 1910s (see e.g. the human figure 1916-17). 

peterp

The cyclical year is indeed 1930 (or 1990)...
The plate has a glaze that is called a wavy glaze in Chinese. It seems to have been more common in the late Qing dynasty, but it can also be found earlier, occasionally. Often the glaze is only inside the foot rim that way.  Anyway, the shape is also not typical for earlier in the Qing dynasty. The painting could be early republic I would think, not Qing dynasty, judging by the colors used. 1930 could be right for that.

Stan

Thanks Peter for confirming the age and the wavy glaze.