Large Wanli style jar/vase

Started by Stan, May 29, 2017, 08:43:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I thought at first that the mark was a Wanli mark, but then realized that it is a Jiajing mark, the hight is  41 cm and it has good age signs, rust spots, pitting marks, glaze retractions and iridescence, it is hand painted and made in three sections, if I did not know any better I would say late Qing but the blue color is a chemical blue and I am not sure about the bottom, your expertise is appreciated, I will post several photos, thanks.

Stan

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Stan

Here are the last set of photo's, thanks for viewing.

peterp

Hi Stan, if authentic, this would have to be a Ming Jiajing official kiln item.
This is a jar with wucai (five color) decoration, a style popular in the Ming dynasty, but on its way out in the early Qing dynasty.
(I suspect the new polychrome enamel decorations used from the Kangxi reign onward may have started the decline of wucai of this type. There are some in the late Qing dynasty too, but they usually have more of a Kangxi than Ming style decoration.)
Colors would be right, but the imperial mark means it is highly unlikely authentic. The bottom confirms that, I'm afraid. The color of the unglazed base is not quite right for a pre-20th century item, I'm afraid.

The two decoration types most likely to have displaced wucai are the falangcai and fencai decorations, both innovations of the Kangxi reign. See http://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/decoration-types.html

Stan

Thanks Peter, I was thinking 20th century from the bottom but wanted to check just incase, I hope I did not pay to much for it because it has two hair line cracks.