A set of crackle vases

Started by heavenguy, May 23, 2017, 21:20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello, I bought this two vases and I have no idea how old they are. They look kind of recent but still I have to ask a couple of questions. they are not that big, probably 5 3/4 inches tall.

They have like a raised carving or molded design under the crackle glaze. Was this common?  Do they always came in two different colors of glazes or did age made the dark brown crackle.

Thank you for your time in advance.

heavenguy

peterp

This is Fangge (imitation Ge) ware, probably made in recent times. Such have been made for hundreds of years, but these look indeed relatively 'young'.

heavenguy

peterp

BTW, I should have made it clear that Fangge, although it actually means "Imitation" Ge, are collectible antiques too, if they have the age. Such crackle wares were originally made by Ge kiln in the Song dynasty. All later glazes using similar crackle decorations are simply called Imitation Ge glazes in Chinese, in order to clarify that this is not an original Ge item.

heavenguy

Thank you for the extra information. It looks recent so next time I'll look for age signs before buying. once again thank you...