Blue and white dragon vase (kangxi?)

Started by quintenf, Apr 07, 2017, 18:33:42

Previous topic - Next topic

quintenf

Hello,

This is another item I recently purchased. the vase is about 55 cm high and 28 cm wide, weights about 7 kg. It has a real deep blue colour. I'm wondering if this is a real antique kangxi vase (or maybe another period) or a 19th/20th century vase.

peterp

It has a real brand new bottom. Antique items are not so easy to find because the new and fake antiques are much too many.

quintenf

The bottom was the thing that I was most worried about.. Can you tell it by the fact that the bottom isn't glazed? Because all of the real antique items I've seen are also glazed on the bottom

peterp

No, an unglazed bottom does not have this color if it is antique. Only a recently fired could, or fakes. But this is a recently made item. There are also inconsistencies in the decoration and blue color. It takes some experience to distinguish between a fake or "new" antique and a genuinely "old" antique.
If you want to buy real antiques, I would recommend to concentrate on plates, and Chinese export porcelain first. Plates are lower in price than vases or other standing objects, and genuinely antique export porcelain is easier to find. This one is neither.