Blue white jarlet

Started by Ragna, Apr 01, 2017, 02:05:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragna

Hi,

I bought this vase on a fleamarket. Do you think it is possible that this is Antique Vietnam Jarlet?

Thank you for your opinions.

Ragna

Some further pictures below

Ragna

And the last two pictures

Stan

This looks more Korean than Vietnamese, the decoration and color blue look like some of the ones I have, Joseon Dynasty.

Ragna

Thats very interesting. You don't think, its perhaps Annamese Ceramic?
I found something similar on pinterest , but I am without real knowledge..
Do you think, it's old?

Ragna

Hi,Stan,here comes a last pic.
I did not find any Korean Joeaon Dynasty Vase (only one item), but I learned, that Jeseon Dynasty last from 1400-1900 round about.
I am collecting a little bit vases, most of them are European, and I like the searching, to find out, what it realy is.
Im internet are some similar vases, named Vietnam Jarlet, 1400-1700.
I think, the vase is old, because it has rust-spots, the 2 double-rings are faded out, but you can detect them on this photo.
Its no problem, when the vase is worthless, i bought it for 5 ?, but I realy like to find out, what it is.
Many thanks for your effort! Its everytime very interesting to read the posts and to study on this way.

peterp

Try to find it in images of the Hoi An shipwreck cargo.

Ragna

Thank you, Peter.
You do think, it is old? I will sell it.

Stan

I was thinking Hoi an hoard shipwreck at first but the bottom is not like any of the of the bottoms on the ones I have that still have the Hoi an hoard sticker on the bottoms, and I do have some Korean vases with the exact same decoration and blue color.

peterp

I did not say it is Vietnamese. If it is, it would be more likely Ming dynasty. Some shipwrecks had porcelain from different countries aboard.
Stan, the Korean wares I have seen up to now all have a different bottom. Many show clear traces of stilts used on the unglazed foot rim itself, or just inside it. That includes small wares. Do your Korean wares have a similar bottom?

Stan

Peter, the bottom on my Korean pieces are different, but I think that mine are older, that would explain the bottom, the foot on mine are uneven,

Stan

I should add that on Korean pottery they also fired items on sand that explains the uneven bottoms, this piece here shown seems to have been fired on supports that were set under the foot, Im not sure if they would be called stilts which were cone shaped and usually set under the bottom, I have four Vietnamese bowls from the Hoi an hoard and I have several other pieces all have save one, the bottoms were painted brown, the bowls I believe were stacked inside each other and then fired, you can see where the glaze was shaved off inside the bowl and the unglazed foot set inside the bowl and fired I do not see any stilt marks on the Hoi an hoard, it looks like they were fired set directly in the kiln on an unglazed foot.

peterp

None of the Korean items I have seen until now had a bottom like this. Each of my own items has a different type of base, and those with which were fired on stilts (support points) all show the traces of these very clearly. I would appreciate if you could point me to any bottoms that are similar to this. I have items that are difficult to attribute to any origin, and which have a similar bottom like this.
BTW, Korean jars often are more globular, not with a shoulder like this. Would also be interested in knowing this type. Maybe we could upload some pictures of Korean bottoms to show the differences between them and the bases of other porcelain?

Ragna

Many thanks for your help. I found a lot to read about the Ho An Hoard Shipwreck, its like a thriller.
I found this little vase on a estate sale, the other items had been old books and old stuff and the seller thought, that this vase may be German Westerw?lder Saltglace ceramic (which looks similar).
Thank you very much for you help and please forgive my bad English- I think, you will understand me.

Stan

Hi Peter, you are right, Antique Korean bottoms are not like this, but 20th century Korean bottoms are, this looks old though, if it is an antique then it is not Korean, the bottom dose not fit the Hoi an hoard, at least none the bottoms I have seen, with all the rust spots on such a small piece do you think this could be a fake. BTW, I have seen 20th century Korean jars made for Kimchi with the same shape, I do have pictures if you like.