Help identifying marks

Started by morinmi, Mar 06, 2017, 01:40:37

Previous topic - Next topic

morinmi

Hello all, I've searched and searched with no luck. Can someone help identify these marks. I bought two bowls back in 1992 at an auction house. The letter that came with the bowls state they are from the Ch'ing Dynasty and at that time were approximately 200 years. Thank you for your help!

peterp

Better upload good images of the item itself. You can not determine authenticity or age based on marks alone. These marks are inconclusive. Normally an accumulation of these marks would mean it is fake, but the bottom looks old.

morinmi

Hello, very sorry for the delay! I've been working long hours since my last post. I'm going to post a couple of pictures that I hope will help. The first bowl has all the marks and what appears to be stamps on it and the other bowl was purchased at the same time. Because of sizing of pics it looks like I'll have to post 3 separate posts.

morinmi

morinmi

The inside of bowl 1. Sorry for the separate pics...obviously I'm new to posting  I've kept these bowls wrapped & protected since I purchased them in 1992. I never washed/cleaned or displayed them.

peterp

The mark of this bowl is illegible and it may not have been there when this item was fired. Typical marks or the period look different and are positioned in the center. But the bowl shown is from the late Qing dynasty, about Guangxu reign (1875-1908).

The other mark image posted earlier shows a mark that is not typical for antique Chinese porcelain. Only the first character is legible. It could have been added at the same time as the sexagonal stamps, if it is not underneath the glaze. The sexagonal stamps could only be from later in the 20th century, This were never used in imperial times. The black character is an ownership mark to identify the owner  after communal use.